You Control Your Reaction


So it seems that the Mercury Retrograde is in full swing, with miscommunication, electronic glitches and delays. For those of you who are seeming to put your foot in your mouth, taking a few moments to think before speak and avoid those embarrassing moments.  If your computer is being testy, or if you’re on a project trying to deliver a system upgrade, take a breathe and breath out that frustration, knowing that it’s not you. Lastly for those of you traveling, take the expected delays in stride, since they are certainly out of your control. As for me, well, I got the triple crown with issues with all the above this 2014 October Mercury Retrograde.  

A perfect example as I arrived at my departure gate to catch a late flight for an early meeting the following morning, I discovered that the first leg of my trip was delayed. ‘I can still make the connection, I thought to myself,’ as I made my way to the counter to get a latte.  After about 2 hours, we started the boarding process. It was then that I received word that my connecting flight had been cancelled due to severe weather. I breathed in deeply then exhaled; the air slowly leaving my body through my nostrils, as the stress exited by body. I took a moment and came up with plan B and alternatives to manage expectations with the folks that would be waiting on me early the next morning. 

‘Thank goodness it wasn’t an interview with Good Morning America,’ I chuckled, not wanting to keep Matt Lauer waiting.

The gate crew was fabulous and apologized. I smiled telling them that it was not your fault as I mused,"Unless you;re controlling the weather."

Why was I so calm?

Well, my dears, there was a time, not too long ago, I might add, when I would have reacted much differently. Yes, I was inconvenienced, but I quickly put the situation into perspective. It was just an unpleasant situation. But no one was injured or died. So often I see people acting poorly when they experience minor inconveniences, like having to wait in line for more than 3 minutes for their morning triple venti caramel macchiato. 

Is it our fault that we overreact? 

In today's society it's considered normal now to rush through life without taking time to breathe. This all began with the computer technology explosion that began in the 80s and 90s. What used to take days to calculate or find, we now can gather using technology in seconds. The pace filtered into the corporate segment as we're pushed to our limit at work to deliver more and more in shorter timeframes. It moved into our personal lives as our patience has become almost non existent, getting agitated when the clerk spends a few extra seconds conversing with the customer in front of us.  And we filter that to our children. 

What has this change of pace gotten us? 
A live filled with stress that's not really living. That leads to a few things including serious physcial and mental illness. Did you know that the scientific community has labeled stress the number one cause of disease. 

I think that as a society we have all gotten spoiled and have forgotten what is really important. The world may be your oyster, but remember that the sun does not revolve around the Earth and the world does not revolve around you. So, stop taking it out on everyone else by stressing the small stuff.


The ONLY thing you CAN control is YOUR reaction. So, let it be one of peace and patience as you break the pattern of the person who has no time to stop and smell the roses. Remember this and you'll life more stress free.

Sending you peace and love this day and always,

LeeZa Donatella  

Have a day filled with love,