Competing with the Joneses?

Ah the Joneses, you know them; actually everyone knows them as we run out and purchase this new gadget, a more expensive car, etc, just to keep up with them. But did you know that the phrase came from a popular early 1900’s comic strip and we have used this phrase as a benchmark for our perceived socio-economic status ever since. Perhaps you were taught that you need to compete with everyone else, friends, family and neighbor alike as you continually compare your material possessions of those of others as the determination of yours and everyone else's net worth?  


It is certainly true in America that if it can be bought, measured or admired, then someone has one that is better than someone else’s and if they do they are somehow better than everyone else.

Don’t get me wrong, I love nice things and there's nothing wrong with having nice things.... JUST NOT to the point of obsession. Some people go to extreme lengths to keep up with those mythical people  that they go into debt, sometimes in the tens of thousands in order to impress them.  How silly is that? Is this mental hogwash? Why is that?

In the not too distant past I too enjoyed that Mercedes convertible with butter leather interior, the grand home and prestigious Vice Presidency.  At this point in my life though, I really don’t care who has the TV with the most gadgets, who has the most regal house, best car, thickest green lawn or career.  Sorry Clooney, but that’s not why I want to kick back with you and enjoy a beer. Why the change in me? I realized that you can’t take it with you and there’s so much more rewarding things in life than what we materially acquire, like the feeling you get when touched by the hand of someone that you care about; the smile that appears on your face when observing a child discovering something new; the joy in the eyes of a friends when they're reunited; the sight of an incredible sunset as it fills the surrounding clouds with melon, crimson and cotton candy; or the intoxicating fragrance of a sweet flower as if infiltrates your nostrils, reminding you of the deliciousness of life.

Every time I think about a purchase, I check in with myself on the reason for the purchase before I plop down that credit card, comparing it to one of the above miraculous experiences. Most times I determine that I really do not need that item. Try it and see what you think.

Wishing you a day filled with love and blessings,
LeeZa Donatella

Links of items I enjoy, that you may find useful 
Berkey Water Filter  The only filter I've found that removes fluoride from drinking water. We filter fluoride from our drinking water to decalcify our pineal gland to connect to increase our spiritual awareness. (article on the Pineal Gland)
Spiritual Guide Incense I love this incense that gets me into the zone. 
My Books Available on Amazon

Other authors books that have helped me on my journey.
The Four Agreements by don Miguel Ruiz
The Celestine Prophecy by James Redfield
The Essential Rumi  by Jalal al-Din Rumi

Leeza Donatella is an author, speaker and teacher