The Dark Night of the Soul


I have been around the block a couple of times, but had not heard much about the Dark Night of the Soul since I was very young going to Catholic school.  Apparently it came up again recently so I figured it warranted re-examination. For those of you who do not know this concept, the dark night of the soul is a poem that was written back sometime in the 1500’s by a Catholic saint, one of the many named John I believe.   It describes the period of time we spend in darkness before we see the light as our soul reconnects to the Creator.

I do not want to be as dramatic, and describe it as the times when nothing seems to go right and we feel like crap. Have you ever had periods in your life that everything seems at it darkest: You break up with your beloved, lose your house, you job, your friends, the dog bites you, Starbucks is never open when you want a latte, the check you have been waiting for never comes, yada yada, ad nauseum. I think you know what I mean. It the endless pit where we continue to fall, fall, fall into the abyss. Is there ever any end? Or at least that is what it feels like. And wow it can last sometimes for a long time.

But then, all of a sudden, a shift, and we see some glimpse of light, a sparkle of something? Oh, whatever it is we are elated to see some light. And what is it really? It is when have a small recognition that there is a something good in our present circumstances. The shift has begun and with this realized gratitude of our current circumstances as learning and the realization that this is all an illusion, we reconnect to the Divine within ourselves. I was in my dark night in late 2001 to early 2003. It was after 9/11 and the job market dried up and I was out of work now for over a year and a half, maxed out to the tune of over 50k on my credit cards and almost completely out of money. It was a one of the lowest times of my adult life and I was depressed and cried a lot. I sold my house to pay down the credit cards so now I was homeless. I moved to my sisters and slept on the floor of my nieces room. The first week I was there I was so depressed, the second week I brushed myself off and got back to looking for work. By the third week I caught myself saying, gee, nice to spend time with my family. It was that realization of something good that signaled to my higher self that I was ready to move forward. I received a call the next day and was working the next week, got my own apartment a week after that, and was able to pay off the remainder of my cards in less than 6 months after that.  When we come out of a dark night everything looks amazing, everything tastes amazing, everyone is amazing as we turn the corner and are moving slowly up, and up and now fluttering our wings. Yes, we can fly, we can fly!

If you are going through the dark night, find something good in your situation and if you truly feel that goodness in your heart, letting your Divine self know you are ready to move forward, and things will change for you.


Yeah, I will take the Transformation over the dark night of the soul, any day of the week, man!
Have a day filled with Love,

LeeZa Donatella
Site:  www.leezadonatella,com
            Eat Pray Stay - Abadiania
            Eat Pray Stay Abadiania
YouTube Channel

Still need assistance?
Contact Us at info@leezadonatella.com to receive information and schedule a channeled counseling session to help you move forward.