Forgiveness Heals the Soul

My dad used to say, let it roll like water off a ducks butt. Gosh that used to piss me off to no end when I would tell my dad a situation that was bugging me and he would give me that duck saying. It took me years to discover that he was right and that he was trying to tell me that when you are faced with a situation that is frustrating you or has hurt you in some way it is healthier to just roll with it. Pretty smart guy, my dad was.

I wanted to take a few lines and talk about situations where we have been hurt. You can say that when someone hurts you that you forgive them, but you really need to hold that feeling of forgiveness in your heart and let go of the hurt. I have discovered that the hardest person to forgive is ourselves. When we forgive there are physical and spiritual changes that happen within us. For the longest time, I had no problem forgiving others, but consistently beat myself up for hurtful situations that I experienced that I allowed to happen. taking these situations and looking at them from a different perspective is a skill I am working on honing. Try it and see if it helps you as well.

Another great saying that resonates when I think about forgiveness is from Alexander Pope in the 1600s who said "to err is human, forgive divine." I never really understood what was meant by that saying until recently. Forgive divine.. hmm. It is with true forgiveness from our hearts that true divinity begins. And this delicious feeling marinates each cell in our being bathing them with joy, peace and bliss that opens up the pathway to divinity. The first time you feel that you will also get that "ah ha" moment as well. As I sit here and write this, I am smiling for you.

I would also like to share a new friend's information in today's post. Her name is Lori Rubenstein, a wonderful resource for folks on relationship healing and forgiveness. She has a great book on Forgiveness.