Moving Away from Misery


I have learned to remain an upbeat person, regardless of my situation. I speak to groups of people who are ready to move forward and with just a little guidance, off they go making strides and moving mountains in no time.


It tugs at my heart when I encounter people, especially those I care about, who dwell in their own misery with no desire to move away from it.  They wear their unhappiness like a comfortable old tattered blanket or use it as a shield forged in steal protecting themselves from the uncomfortable, the unknown world of trying a new way.


For those of you who are still clinging to misery, I hear you and know that it's scary moving into uncharted territory. I've been pushed outside my comfort zone many times in my life and I can honestly say that I have been petrified more than once. But I do have moved forward, because the alternative of remaining stuck in that current place was no longer appealing. 


I remember how petrified I was when I packed up my stuff and put it all in storage, setting out for over a year on a spiritual journey to help define "me" and solidify my life's purpose. The only plan I had was for the first 2 weeks of the journey that would have me at a retreat over a days drive away. After that I had no idea where I would land, now "homeless" by choice. I was so afraid as I drove that first day from Sedona, AZ toward Northern California that I could see my hands shaking against the steering wheel. That first night I stopped at a small inn, exhausted. When I walked up to the office the next morning to check out I saw the following saying on the wall from Patrick Overton and it made all the difference to me:


"When you walk to the edge of all the light you have and take that first step into the darkness of the unknown, you must believe that one of two things will happen. There will be something solid for you to stand upon or you will be taught to fly.” 


Tears welled in my eyes as I released fear based emotions that no longer served me. Somehow I knew that I was being watched over by some force whose name does not matter. I had received the confirmation that I needed to continue forward. I was still afraid, but had found a little comfort  Each time I step out of my comfort zone today I'm reminded of that saying on the wall and am not afraid to ask for a sign that I am headed in the right direction. I am a woman after all and we always ask for directions. 


Perhaps you have found this article today because you asked for direction. My hope is that if you did, then these few paragraphs provide you with answers and the comfort you need to move forward as well.

Just remember that everyday provides us a new opportunity to step out of our comfort zone toward a more enriched existence. Don't be afraid to take that first step. Take my hand and we'll do it together.



Wishing you a delicious day,