When Sleep Does Not Come


I rolled around in bed this morning trying to find a comfortable position. I turned left, then right, but sleep did not come. It has been a long time since I had trouble getting to sleep and I wondered what was so embedded in my mind that I could not fall off that cliff into slumber.
So I pulled out all my sleep inducing tricks:

  • I tried a trick my mother told me about when I was young. She used to tell me to imagine that I was staring at a black piece of paper. But alas, it did not work.
  • I tried meditation while I lay in bed. I took deep breaths, focusing on the air traveling in and out of my nostrils, quieting my thoughts. No dice.
  • I counted backward from 100, but when I got to the final countdown of ten, nine, eight, I opened my eyes, frustrated.
  • I settled down and tried the last technique I was aware of, counting those funny looking sheep, you know, like the ones you see in the mattress commercials; but they all shook their heads at me as they headed over that fence.
I sat up and racked my brain for the cause of my disturbance.  Did I have too much caffeine earlier in the day? No, that wasn’t it. Was I obsessing over some trivial issue? No sir.

Was I excited about something to come? Nope, that wasn’t it either.

The more I racked my brain over why I could not get to sleep the more I could not sleep. Ah, ha!

Stop overthinking everything. Sometimes, you just can’t sleep!

Wishing you restfullness,

LeeZa Donatella

PS - I LOVE questions, so please keep them coming! I answer every one and depending on the topic, add them to a question and answer section at the bottom of each article. There are no stupid questions, just unasked ones. We are all here to help each other.  Open your heart and share your question. You just may be helping another by asking it. To shy to post a comment. That's okay. email me.